Macy's Director, Software Engineering in Johns Creek, Georgia
* Job Overview: * * * Drives strategic and operational technical direction for a defined functional area in support of Macy's Technology’s objectives. Forms effective partnerships across Macy's Technology Functional teams. Exploits industry trends, identifies opportunities, executes strategic plans and ensures enterprise integration. Delivers results by leading efforts in planning, designing, implementing, and maintaining efficient systems and/or processes. This position drives the Logistics technology roadmap for the Supply Chain for Macy’s/Bloomingdale’s for keeping merchandise moving across the enterprise. This includes Transportation/Distribution, EDI, DC Sortation, Reverse Logistics, Vendor Portal, and Merchandise Movement. Inspires achievement and drives excellence. Builds diverse, effective teams, and promotes career development throughout the organization.
The Director will be in charge of building and maintaining world class applications and services and keep them stable, scalable and available. The Director will be responsible to deliver in a lean and fast manner, tirelessly looking for improvements, and setting new challenges to energize the team. This leader will partner with other technical and business functions across the enterprise, involved in the strategy and governance, making the right and balanced technical decisions that take into account delivery cost, predictability, and above all, business values. We expect the candidate to be a great partner to Product Managers, not only to ensure the technical aspect and delivery are taken care of, but also understand and influence how the business metrics goal are met, involved in coming up with strategy and tactics to get there.
The Director is expected to lead innovation in areas of technology such as AI and Machine Learning, though not limited to those, have been major positive disruptors and will continue to do so. Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions: *
• Delivers results by driving strategic and operational direction through effective planning, organizing, prioritizing staff assignments, and continual analysis of workload and personnel needs. A director is responsible for the success of multiple concurrent cross-functional tasks. Drives and manages change. Sets priorities based on thorough understanding of business initiatives; monitors progress of assignments, redistributing resources where appropriate. • Develops, directs, and executes strategic plans in collaboration with the appropriate stakeholders. Ability to build and establish solid working relationships by providing timely, accurate and high quality information to peers, subordinates, upper management and/or customers. • Advises Macys Tech senior management on strategic plans and improvements to systems and processes. Partners with customers to develop and execute business vision and strategic plan. • Collaborates with appropriate stakeholders to identify, recommend, and implement improvements to systems and processes. • Ensures compliance with Architectural & Platform standards. • Effectively accomplish the organization's goals and objectives; employs, trains, directs, and counsels unit staff. Develops, motivates, empowers, and evaluates team to expand professional, management, leadership, and technical skills. Responsible for ensuring continued success of the team members within their functional work area. Identifies strengths and abilities in associates, provides feedback, drives career planning discussions, empowers and motivates associates to achieve goals. • Ensure successful execution of technical strategies, adherence to architecture guidelines and standards by being the technical voice for architecture, platform and technical strategies. • Supports budgetary direction provided by OVP/VP/SVP. Responsible for managing a budget. • Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality.
- Education/Experience: *
- Communication Skills: *
- * • Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to read, write, and interpret business and technical documents. • Demonstrable presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Physical Demands: *
- * • This position involves regular walking, sitting, hearing, and talking. • May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching. • May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
- Other Skills: *
• Ability to define technical objectives & achieve planned results by decisions and actions that are based on professional methods, best practices and practical experience.
• Strong leadership profile and excellent negotiation skills.
• Demonstrable leadership abilities in changing, ambiguous and challenging situations.
Work Hours: *
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
Macy’s Inc. is one of the nation’s premier retailers. With fiscal 2016 sales of $25.778 billion and approximately 140,000 employees, the company operates more than 700 department stores under the nameplates Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s, and approximately 125 specialty stores that include Bloomingdale’s The Outlet, Bluemercury and Macy’s Backstage. Macy’s, Inc. operates stores in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Guam and Puerto Rico, as well as macys.com, bloomingdales.com and bluemercury.com. Bloomingdale’s stores in Dubai and Kuwait are operated by Al Tayer Group LLC under license agreements. Macy’s, Inc. has corporate offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and New York, New York.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. *
Primary Location: United States-Georgia-Johns Creek
Req ID: MAC09930