SECO Energy Sr. Programmer in Sumterville, Florida
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric distribution cooperative servingover 200,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECOEnergythe third largest electric co-op in Florida and the sixth largest in the nation.
Qualified employees will be considered on an equal basis with external applicants.
General Purpose of Job:
The Senior Programmer role is responsible to define, develop, test, analyze and maintain new and current software applications in support of business requirements. This includes writing, coding, testing and analyzing software programs and applications. This position will also research, design, document and modify software specifications throughout the production life cycle; conduct requirement gathering meetings and produce technical and business documentation; coordinates project timeline and resource requirements.
Position Specifications:The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or closely related field. Six years of progressive experience may be substituted for education.
- Five years of progressive experience inprogramming, developing business applications, andsystems design with three of those years in project management and implementation. Proficiency in SQL, scripting languages, and one or more other programming languages such as .NET, C++, and PHP. Must have experience in building strong client relationships.
- Experience with a distribution electric utility or related industry is desirable.
- English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of structured programming principles and methods, system analysis techniques, system design, industry standard testing principles, system implementation, user training and follow up; utilization of Apple Macintosh and/or Windows personal computing systems; programming languages and development tools. Must be able to author software development lifecycle documentation including user requirements, high-level/detailed design, test plan/scripts, and an implementation plan.
- Thorough understanding of multiple computer platform functions to include operating systems, utilities, shared and peer function. Knowledge of systems backup, recovery and software application security.
- Strong understanding of relational database and client-server concepts; the functional, technical and administrative aspects of a wide variety of environments such as: Net framework; Windows; Visual Studio, .Net/C++/C#, ADO, HTML, ODBC, ASP.Net, SQL, XML, Visual Basic, VB.Net; ability to continue learning and implement relevant alternate programming tools.
- Ability to acquire expertise to support corporate business systems such as NISCiVue CIS system; NISC Business Accounting; Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System Interfaces; GE DM/GIS/PowerOn System Interfaces; SCADA Interfaces; Crystal Reports; JAVA; Microsoft .NET, etc.
- Demonstrated communication skills; ability to accurately prepare all types of business correspondence, design and produce reports and training manuals; ability to analyze and interpret job related business periodicals and technical manuals.
- Excellent customer service orientation and interpersonal skills for effective interaction with others at all levels of the organization;ability to express technical information clearly and simply while working closely with other personnel.
- Effective planning, organizational and documentation skills; ability to complete assignments and meet deadlines; work independently and in a team environment; ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
- Ability to maintain highly confidential information; be flexible and receptive to changing priorities.
Skills Verification:The skills required for this position may be verified through a combination of education, experience, interview questions, and technical skills exercise(s).
- Successful completion of SECO Energy’s employment entrance examination and drug screen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
- Plan advanced and functionally defined assignments and goals, with alternatives, actions, and results clearly specified; participate in design, creation and delivery of detailed, complex program specifications.
- Independently and collaboratively perform programming or scripting tasks; write and review software requirements, design specifications, code, unit tests and release notes.
- Install client-server software applications.
- Maintain knowledge of the design and development of existing software systems; develop applications for and enhancements to existing applications.
- Review, analyze and evaluate business systems and user needs; develop reports and studies that analyze information contained in databases to management as directed.
- Assist in the implementation and integration of third party proprietary software systems into existing database application infrastructure.
- Design reports for database and applications, as directed.
- Participate in all phases of the software development life cycle.
- Provide debugging and troubleshooting analysis.
- Provide software support for MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) as needed.
- Conduct research on database and client/server products to maintain a high level of knowledge in the industry; make recommendations on policies and procedures as they apply to business systems to enhance efficiency.
- Review, analyze and modify programming code.
- Maintain and monitor GIS Database systems to insure continuous availability.
- Support and maintain Web application servers.
- Patch and Upgrade software systems as necessary.
- Provide after-hours support of critical business systems as needed.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by or those an employee encounters to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some requirements may exclude individualsthat cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
- Normal work hours will be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit,talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, push, pull, or crawl. Must have the ability to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 10 lbs. on a regular basis. The employee must regularly lift,use fingers, grasp, extended repetitive motions, and defined light level work. Visual acuity required as machine operator. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,and the ability to adjust focus.
This position has generalsedentaryoffice environment with some business travel for training and development. The noise level in the work environment is usuallyquiet.
- Attend and actively participate in all Job Briefings and Safety Meetings as required.
- Promotes safe work practices
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge and comply with all applicable SECO Energy safety rules, policies, practices, and procedures.
- Use all required safety protective equipment and utilize all SECO Energy equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Be alert to any safety hazards involving SECO Energy equipment and notify the appropriate personnel immediately.
- Attend and actively participate in training as scheduled.
- Ability to maintain regular attendance and punctuality during the established working hours.
- Maintain a commitment to excellence and to the Corporate Vision.
- Maintain and encourage open, honest communication with superiors and co-workers.
- Exhibit a commitment to customer focused service.
- Exhibit integrity and honesty in all actions.
- Exhibit a firm commitment to safety.
- Maintain a team player focused cooperative style.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic.
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Manager of Information Technology
Pay Rate: Based on qualifications and experience
Posting Dates: April 30th, 2018 – April 30th, 2018